Monday, February 6, 2012

Happy Birthday From the Dust!!!


WE DID IT!

We met our goal of 100 fans! You can still get free comics through midnight tonight (Monday, Feb 6, 2012) by liking us on Facebook. Details (but no catches) here.


On this day in history...

As an artist, inspiration comes in many ways, sometimes because you desire the inspiration and work for it, and sometimes because you're bored out of your mind in a Bible study class. I first started drawing characters as animals in my Institute classes last January.


Notice the cat with the umbrella is saying "I want to make the Book of Mormon cool and hip and fun." So it was actually at the bible study class that I had the idea to turn the characters into animals.

Then, a year ago today I drew the following images: 


It was the first time investment I made toward the idea of turning the Book of Mormon into a comic book. Had it been done before? I didn't know, (in fact, it has, in 2004 by Michael Allred) but I had about 20 pages of images that came to me that night--and that's quite a bit for one evening. My sketches spanned the course of the Bible and when I was done I sat back and thought "I know what I want to do for the rest of my life."

It was simple, sudden, and sublime.

It might sound cheesy, but sometimes the truth is just that--cheesy! It doesn't mean it's not true, though!



I am *very* glad I didn't go with this original name. It was a play on words with the song "Book of Mormon Stories." At this point, the idea of making a fantasy had not come to me. That slowly evolved over the course of months.



It didn't take long for me to realize that I had to include a substantial amount of Biblical material, not just Book of Mormon material. These were a couple ideas on Moses on Pharaoh. I actually like Pharaoh quite a bit still as a cobra, so if I ever do the Exodus story, keep an eye out for it.


This is Nephi as an adult in the promised land. He is writing the account of his spiritual history down on the Small Plates, which were then handed down from generation to generation in his family line.

On February 6, 2011, I drew the above sketches which became the foundation of From the Dust. Only a sampling were shown here.

I will forever be grateful to have even had the opportunity to sketch these images, much less write and illustrate the story as a comic book the last year.

May we all stay true to the good ideas we receive, and thereby be true to ourselves and to God.

--Mike



Tuesday Update Moved to Thursday!

Our Tuesday post is being move to Thursday this week since we had this special birthday post, so check back Thursday @ 6am to meet Jeremiah, the "Weeping Prophet," and Nebuchadrezzar, Lord of the Chaldeans and King of Babylon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment