Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Power of Crowdfunding



If you are unfamiliar with Kickstarting, it's a little bit of heaven on earth for independent artists like myself.


Check out this successfully funded comic reprint:



They earned over $1 million from 16,000 different people on a comic based on Dungeons & Dragons (which, admittedly, I played extensively as a teenager). It's crazy. Lessons learned from this amazing kickstart:

  • Crowd funding is cool.
  • Every person in this world makes a difference, and so does every dollar we spend.
  • Some people still read comics.
  • Playing Dungeons & Dragons as a child pays off in the end.
  • I wasted 4 years of my life learning to draw.
Who knew I could have just done my comic with stick figures?

In fact, to honor this incredibly successful kickstart (second most successful kickstart ever, actually) I've decided to redraw all my characters in the style of Rich Burlew. Some characters appear more than once... 




And while we are talking about Kickstarting, check out my friend Jake Parker's Kickstart for his book Antler Boy. It reached its funding goals the first day!!

Next week I will have some new artwork to show! My apologies on another late post... :( But at least I'm keeping it to within 24 hours late, so we have to look on the bright side, right? I'm improving...

No comments:

Post a Comment